Here’s how to take care of Skin and Hair this Holi (Holi tips from celebrity dermatologist Dr. Rashmi Shetty.)
Holi is one of the most awaited festivals. The colors, water-guns, colored-filled water balloons, sweets have always excited everyone. Though the festival brings with itself uninhibited joy and new beginnings it also brings along a lot of hair and skin issues.
It’s important to safeguard your hair and skin from damages caused by toxic colors. Celebrity Dermatologist, Dr. Rashmi Shetty advises on the precautions to prevent the damage that harsh colors can cause.
- Before stepping out, make sure that you moisturize your skin enough. Generously massage your skin with coconut based oil, it will provide enough nourishment at the same time protecting it from harsh chemicals that tend to stick on your skin.
- For your tresses, a head massage with coconut or a mixture of coconut, jasmine and aloe vera oil the night before Holi is strongly recommended. These oils provide hair with nutrition safeguarding hair from toxic chemicals and colors.
- For dry hair, you may also opt for ‘Hot Towel Treatment’ a night before you plan to go all out for Holi. For this, massage the coconut oil into your hair and soak a towel in hot water and wrap it around your head. Leave this for 30 minutes to an hour, this will open pores of your scalp allowing the oil to seep in well. This will ensure proper hydration of the scalp and will also make Holi colors come off easily.
- Before smearing your hands in colors, apply a thick coat of nail paint to prevent the colors to set in on your nails.
- Keep yourself hydrated by drinking plenty of water and juices.
- Before going for a shower, brush off the dry color from your skin and hair
- After a shower with lukewarm water, it’s necessary to moisturize the skin to prevent dryness. Use aloe vera enriched coconut oil for intensive nourishment. Aloe vera is lightweight and will give good conditioning to your skin without making it look greasy.
- You can also try DIY hair mask to deep condition your tired hair. This would work really well for dry hair. Mix coconut oil, aloe vera and jasmine oil. Leave it on for 30 minutes and wash with a mild shampoo. Applying coconut oil before Holi wouldn’t harm your hair much, but to nourish them furthermore, this combination has proved to be beneficial.
Hope you found the tips useful! Wish you “A Very Happy Holi“!!! May we all be able to paint our life with beautiful colours of joy, happiness, friendship and love:)